As 2008 comes to a close it's time too take a look back at everything, and hopefully reflect on some things for the new year.
Work:
Work has kept me both sane, and insane this year. I must admit I never would have expected achieving as much as I have and moving forward I'm excited about what the new year will bring. In March my department suffered a round of layoffs which forced me to move from an Austin-wide role to a more site specific role at Oak Hill managing the water and air programs. I've attempted to retain some of my previous responsibilities, but that is proving to be more difficult than I had anticipated. I'm glad for the change as I'm finally doing what I was hired for and what I went to school for. More notably this year I have personally contributed over $270,000 in cost savings to my organization within the company with nearly $500,000 in indirect contributions. Overall since I started working for the company I have broken past the $600,000 mark in annual savings that is realized as a direct result of my efforts. My department has won several awards this year that I submitted for including the Keep Texas Beautiful Business Award, the Austin Business Journal Going Green Award, and various Austin Water Conservation awards. Another exciting achievement; since I took over environmental compliance we have had zero notices of violation!
Earlier this month I was notified that I would be nominated by Freescale for the New Faces in Engineering recognition put on by the Engineer's Week Foundation. Low and behold, after reaching several milestones in the process I will be among about 8 other "New Faces" of 2009! I am representing both Freescale and the National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals (NOGLSTP); So keep a look out for the USA Today Article in February!
Speaking of gay, I'm slowly but surely coming out at work. It's not something I want to just exude as to not hinder my future career, but several people in the office have asked about it and most of the group that I work with (if not all) at Oak Hill know. It's almost refreshing, but at the same time nerve wracking. Hopefully it will at the least help to make everyone more comfortable knowing that someone they are close to is gay.
Family
This year has been a trying one for me. There is the usual drama on my dad's side of course while on my mom's side I have lost a cousin to alcohol poisoning and an uncle to heart disease (he leaves behind his wife and three kids). Otherwise for the most part things outside of the immediate family have been standard operating procedures.
Sometime in March or April my father was diagnosed with a rare form of skin cancer/blood disease; so rare in fact that when he goes to the doctor there are usually a team of them observing in the background. He has been undergoing some light-therapy treatment (essentially a VERY strong tanning bed, as in more than 60 seconds and you're burnt). They know it won't cure him but they are hoping to at least keep it from worsening. He very well could live a good many years; however, it has spread through much of his body so there is really no telling. At this point I'm not really sure what to think. My father and I have never been very close; I hate to see him go but I'm not going to worry about it until the time comes.
In August my parents decided to take in a foreign exchange student from Slovakia. Anna, lives with them now and will continue to live here until June when she moves back home. She is a senior in High School and is looking forward to graduation in the spring. I must admit, she is a very humble and interesting person to talk to. I'm looking forward to spending more time with her this coming year.
All-in-all my immediate family is doing well. Mom and Dad are still happy together and working the same jobs. My sister now works at my old stomping grounds, Austin's Pizza. She is a 3rd-year with Senior Credits at UT majoring in Math and Kinesiology, and make very good grades I might add. Tomorrow morning we are all leaving on a trek through the mid-west to end at Kansas City to visit my dad's family for my grandmother's birthday on January 1st. I'm already looking forward to being back home though.
Relationships
In all honesty this year seems to have been a relatively uneventful one. I dated one guy for about 6 weeks and he ended it because he wasn't feeling it anymore. Looking back I can't say that I blame him, but it did hurt at the time. My promiscuous phase came to an end early this year and stayed that way throughout. I think given my intense working schedule and focus combined with being out of college my game has suffered a bit, but I'm not letting it get me down. I'm planning to approach 2009 with a more laid back approach to meeting that one guy, I figure he'll turn up when it's time and not a moment too soon.
Friendships
This has been an interesting year for friends. For the most part I have kept touch with all of those that are the most important to me. Nathan has of course been an unwavering pillar for me through it all and having him here is one of the biggest reasons I haven't gone completely off the deep end yet. Jack has remained a very close and loyal friend this year despite a few challenges early on, but we are better for it. Many close friends have come and gone; James R, James C, Austin, and some others; while I have also gained many new ones; Kris, Alex, & Tyler.
Overall I must admit my relationship with Austin has suffered greatly this year. Perhaps it's living together that has caused it, but it didn't seem to start until after May when he finished college. He now has a new boyfriend Dustin who has and still is shaping and moulding him into the perfect guy...the only problem is it's not the same Austin. We have really drifted apart these past few months but mostly because I feel like I don't even know him anymore. I think it's important to realize that throughout life friends will drift in and out, but that doesn't mean they don't leave their mark. I will always love Austin and he has been a very wonderful friend.
Time to forge ahead
With 2008 coming to a close I welcome 2009 with open arms. I'm looking forward to a new president, and a hopefully better economy. Perhaps the most important thing I've learned this year is how quickly everything can change, and how impossible it is to be prepared for all of the outcomes. I hope to enter 2009 with a more realistic and laid back approach to life. I want to branch out more, volunteer for HRC, fight for gay rights, make new friends, and cherish friends I already have.
Given everything new and exciting about next year I don't think anyone will be able to predict where it goes. 525,600 minutes is a long time with so many possibilities. This year one song in particular has stood out to me, "One Step at a Time" by Jordan Sparks sums up how I want to approach life from now on. In general I know where I'd like to be but the path is unknown. It is important to take each step one at a time, and that's how I plan to move through the next 12 months; savoring all 525,600 minutes of it. Where I'll end up is anyone's guess, but I plan to make getting there ALL the fun.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Love Always,
Rob
Thursday, December 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment