Oh sweet georgia brown....
So two weeks ago (plus or minus a few days) I took a road trip with some friends off to Atlanta, Georgia to visit my other friend Brendan who is a student a Georgia Tech University. It was such a blast...
The trip started as a long 17.5 hour drive from Austin. We left on a thursday morning and were there around 3 am on friday (easter time). It was a long a grueling drive. While we were there we saw the Aquarium, Olympic Park, various restaurants and bars, five points, decatur, midtown, etc. I can safely say it was one of the largest city I've ever been to and quite an amazing trip.
Gay districts:
Midtown was sort of the gay district so to speak. There were several small neighborhoods full of very cute little houses tucked in amongst a bustling metropolis. Tall buildings and condos surrounding Piedmont park where cute boys could be seen walking their Schnauzers and Chihuahuas lol. Rainbow flags were a-plenty, as was amazing food and bars. We went to a great organic place the first morning we were there and had mimosas and breakfast.
Tornados:
So perhaps you heard a few months ago about the tornados that ripped through downtown Atlanta? The evidence was obvious. Many of the tall buildings were riddled with broken windows, and there was lots of repairs going on at the time. While we were downtown Brendan gave us a great tour of the Georgia Tech campus and it was really cool. We also took the chance to tour CNN headquarters (which I must admit was quite disappointing...and no we didn't get to meet Anderson Cooper :(
The Aquarium and other Highlights:
I must admit the aquarium was quite amazing. The high point of the tour was when a southern bell walked up to the exhibit of the large spider crabs and yells in a rather heavy souther draw, "look at the size of them cuuuurrrraaaaaaaaaaaabs!!"...."Them's good eatn'"
I just about died laughing...lol...so anyway the aquarium was really really cool and minus the large crowds, definately worth the money. Also while we were there we stopped in a local coffee shop where they hold competitions for latte art. It was really spectacular and quite possible the best Caramel Latte I've ever had in my entire life.
The ride home:
So on the way back we decided to try and make the trip as fast as possible. I averaged a healthy 85 mph for my 6 hour leg of the journey and we were able to make the trek in just under 15 hours. I thought that was impressive considering the monsoon we had to drive through between Dallas and Waco to get back.
All in all I must say thanks to Brendan, Sara, and Sarah for an amazing trip and a very memorable summer vacation. I felt so refreshed coming back to work that it really made my year.
Friday, July 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
anderson is in nyc! everyone knows that one!
Post a Comment